The invention of electric generators and the beginning of the widespread use of electricity radically changed industrial production and living conditions for most of the world’s population, bringing both to a qualitatively new level. The list of tasks that electrician workers and engineers have to solve when arranging new networks and maintaining old ones in proper condition is very extensive. There is a specialization that allows you to train professionals in a realistic time frame, i.e. during training in secondary schools and universities.
An electrician. It is engaged in the maintenance of electrical equipment and the maintenance of internal networks in working order. Adjusts and repairs household appliances, communication systems, lighting fixtures, replaces sockets and switches.
Electrician. Specializes in the repair of power supply and low-current systems. Serves lighting panels, low-voltage electric motors, pumps, landline telephones, and more.
Electrician. Lays internal and external networks, installs and repairs equipment related to the power supply of various objects and territories. Mounts and adjusts transformers punches holes for cable routing.
Electrician. Creates electrical wiring inside and outside the building, is engaged in marking and fixing cables. Reads diagrams, install poles for street lighting, and laying overhead lines.
Electrical Engineer. Designs electrical networks in residential and industrial buildings calculate the planned consumption of electricity, selects lighting equipment, panel models, etc. Provides acceptance, storage, and disposal of electrical installations.
Energy Engineer. Designs electrical, heating and gas networks. Selects and purchases the necessary equipment. Checks automation and relay protection. Monitors the loads in the power system. Optimizes energy costs.
The profession of an electrician is at the intersection of mental and physical labor. The specialist is responsible for laying external and internal power cables, installing that part of the equipment that is required to supply power to residential buildings, as well as commercial and industrial facilities. He conducts diagnostics of units and devices and, if necessary, eliminates malfunctions. His responsibilities also include restoring the power supply after hurricanes, earthquakes, and other natural disasters.
The job descriptions for electricians describe the following range of responsibilities:
- Put on overalls and personal protective equipment, check the reliability of the fasteners, the correctness and serviceability of grounding.
- Observe the rules and regulations of labor protection, fire safety, and industrial sanitation.
- Inform the headquarters of civil defense and emergency situations about possible emergency situations at the facility.
- Replace failed electrical equipment and lay a solid cable instead of the damaged one.
- Monitor the status of the most important network nodes.
- Perform routine inspections and technical tests.
- Carry out the installation of devices and the laying of supply lines in accordance with the approved working documentation.
What knowledge and skills an electrician should have?
An electrician is not an easy profession. An applicant wishing to fill this position in a public or large private organization must have experience in the following areas:
- maintenance of power grids and equipment;
- repair of power lines, transformer substations, electrical panels;
- management of power supply systems;
- control over compliance with the rules for the operation of devices.
In addition, only persons who are able to document their professional qualifications and who have such documents as:
- diploma on the presence of secondary vocational or higher education;
- a certificate entered in the register of Rostekhnadzor, with an electrical safety admission group…
What kind of people this does profession suit best?
The work of an electrician can hardly be called simple, a specialist must have extensive knowledge, be able to quickly analyze the situation, and make competent decisions. Some companies will have to work on emergency calls, eliminating the consequences of accidents, at any time of the day or night, often in strong winds, in frosty weather, etc.
The person who chooses this career for himself should ideally be tech-savvy, responsible, and attentive to detail. Important skills also include sociability and disposition to teamwork. In addition, difficult working conditions and responsibility for the lives of other people imply that the employee has a stable psyche and good physical health. Conflicting individuals or individuals with various phobias, such as fear of heights, should not choose the profession of an electrician.
In which educational institutions they receive a specialty?
The required diploma can be obtained in a number of domestic technical schools and universities, which provide training in the following areas:
Power engineering and electrical engineering;
- Electrical equipment and electrical facilities of enterprises, organizations, and institutions;
- Technical operation and maintenance of electrical and electromechanical equipment;
- Installation, adjustment, and operation of electrical equipment for industrial and civil buildings;
- Electrician for the repair and maintenance of electrical equipment;
- Electrician for the repair of overhead power lines;
- And others.
- Electrician crusts can also be obtained by completing professional courses in one of these educational institutions.
Electrician career prospects
Since electrical appliances and networks are used everywhere in all sectors of the economy, electricians are widely in demand in the labor market. Good work experience and experience in solving various problems help a specialist to get a fairly high-paying job.
Career growth occurs gradually as you gain experience and increase the grade. There are 6 of them in total. To increase their competitiveness, many are mastering related specialties: electrician, electrical fitter, and electrician. In addition, there is an opportunity to start your own business, because, after several years of conscientious and high-quality work, an electrician acquires connections with promising clients, which will help the business to develop steadily at the initial stages.
Another article on this blog that might interests you: